Sunday, August 18, 2019

An Old English Prayer


O beloved Lord! O good Judge!
Have mercy on me, eternal Ruler.
I know my soul with sins is grievously wounded;
Save it, Lord of heavens,
and heal it, Author of life,
because You most easily can of all physicians
of those who may be far and wide.
O, bright Lord, Creator of people!
Soften Your mind to me for goodness,
give Your mercy to Your wretched one.
He is wretched who here on earth
day and night fights for the devil
and works his will; woe to him for that pleasure,
when he those recompenses has and beholds,
but he that evil may abandon before.
He is blessed, who here on earth
day and night obeys the Lord
and always works His will; well for him of that labor,
when he those recompenses has and beholds,
if he an entirely good end accomplishes.
O, Light of lights! O Joy of life!
Grant to me, honor-blessed King,
when I ask for heaven for my soul,
eternal mercy. You are unquestionably God,
You have and You rule
alone over all earth and heavens
of wide creations. You are true Measurer,
alone over all earth-dwellers,
just as up in heavens You are Savior God.
Not any of men can praise You;
although You may unite us around wide ground,
men over world, around all middle-earth,
we can never express, nor know that truly,
how noble You are, eternal Lord.
Yet the host of angels up in heavens
wise together do not begin to say,
they cannot ever express, nor know that measurement,
how glorious You are, mighty Lord.
But it is a great wonder, Ruler of angels,
though You know it Yourself, Lord of victory,
how glorious You are, mighty and power-strong,
King of all kings, living Christ,
Creator of all worlds, Ruler of angels,
Power of all hosts, Lord Savior.
You are the noble One Who in former days
joy of all maidens beautifully brought forth
in Bethlehem that walled city for men as comfort,
for all as mercy for sons of ages,
for those who believe in the living God
and in that eternal light up in skies.
Your power is so glorious, mighty Lord,
so that not any of earth-dwellers know
the mystery of the powers of the Lord,
nor that any of the rank of angels know
the highness of the King of heavens.
I confess to You, almighty God,
that I believe in You, beloved Savior,
that You are the great One and the power-strong One
and the gracious One of all gods
and the eternal King of all creatures,
and I am the little one for You and the wretched man,
the one who sins here exceedingly often,
day and night, I do as I should not,
at times with work, at times with word,
at times with thought, grievously guilty,
treacherous enmities often and frequently.
But I implore You now, Lord of heavens,
and pray for myself to You, most excellent of sons,
that You may show mercy to me, mighty Lord,
High-king of heavens and the Holy Ghost,
and may protect me, Father almighty,
that I may be able to work Your will,
before I from this transitory life depart.
Refuse me not, Lord of glory,
but grant to me, honor-blessed King,
permit me with angels up to journey,
to sit in sky,
to praise heaven's God with holy voice
always without end. Amen.

Translated by Amy Troolin

No comments:

Post a Comment