In today's Second Reading from the Letter to the Colossians, St. Paul gives us a recipe for family life. Let's take a close look at what he recommends.
1. Remember that we are all “God's chosen ones, holy and beloved.”
2. Put on “heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.”
3. Bear with one another and forgive one other, just as the Lord has forgiven us.
4. Put on love, which is the “bond of perfection.”
5. Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts so that it can also rule in our families.
6. Be thankful.
7. Allow the Word of God to dwell in us richly.
8. Teach and admonish each other in wisdom.
10. Do all things in the Name of Jesus, giving thanks to the Father through Him.
Does all this sound too difficult...or maybe even impossible? Never fear! We have help. Jesus is waiting for us to turn to Him with open, prayerful hearts and to ask Him to help us grow in our family life and in our relationships with those we love. After all, Jesus knows what it is like to live in a family. He places His Holy Family before us as a model of love, and He is ready and willing to help us sculpt our families into living reflections of His. All we need to do is ask.
Lord Jesus, please strengthen our families. May we always seek to follow St. Paul's recipe for family life and to imitate Your Holy Family that we may always grow in love for one another. Amen.