Thursday, March 29, 2018

Holy Thursday – God's Great Gift

Almost two thousand years ago, on the night before He died, our Lord gave us a great gift, a gift that would remain with us until the end of time. He gave us Himself, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. He gave us the Eucharist. 

Jesus is really present in the Eucharist. He meant what He said when He proclaimed, “I am the bread of life” (John 6:35). He was serious when He said, “Those who eat My flesh and drink My blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for My flesh is true food and My blood is true drink. Those who eat My flesh and drink My blood abide in Me, and I in them” (John 6:54-56). At the Last Supper, the bread and wine truly became Jesus' Body and Blood as He said, “This is My Body,” and “This is My Blood of the covenant” (Matthew 26:26, 28). This happens again and again, every time the priest, speaking in the person of Christ, proclaims these words, for Jesus also instructed, “Do this in remembrance of Me” (Luke 22:19). 

When we receive Holy Communion at Mass, we receive Jesus, really and truly. Our God enters into our bodies and our hearts. We are united more closely to Jesus. Our venial sins disappear, and we are strengthened to avoid sin in the future. We are joined more perfectly to the Church, the Body of Christ. We receive a foretaste of Heaven. 

This evening, as we commemorate God's great gift of the Eucharist, we should take a few minutes to grow in our appreciation of the Sacrament. We might read the Catechism (#1322-1419) or perhaps learn about some of the amazing Eucharistic miracles our Lord has provided to strengthen our faith (http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/engl_mir.htm). But most of all, we should spend some time thanking Jesus for remaining with us in such a truly awesome way.

No comments:

Post a Comment