Sunday, October 18, 2015

Reflections for the 29th Week in Ordinary Time, Part 1

Monday – Empowered by Faith

In today's first reading, St. Paul reminds us of Abraham's great faith. God told Abraham to leave his homeland, all things familiar, everything he couldn't carry with him, even members of his family, and set out on a journey to an unknown land that God promised to give him. Abraham did.

God told Abraham that he would be the father of many nations. Abraham didn't even have a single heir, and he was already elderly. But Abraham believed, and soon he became the father of little Isaac.

God told Abraham to take his only son, Isaac, up on Mount Moriah and sacrifice him. Abraham's heart must have been breaking, but he set out, trusting that God would either provide an alternate sacrifice or give him his son back somehow, even if it meant raising him from the dead. 

God spoke, and Abraham believed. He was willing to let go of his preconceived notions about the ways of the world. He was willing to put aside his fear. He was even willing to place his dear son in God's hands. Abraham's faith made him strong enough to do what seemed humanly impossible. It empowered him to let go of his own will, allow God to guide him, and open his heart to the wonderful ways in which God fulfilled His promises.

Tuesday – Here I Am, Lord

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will. 

I give myself to You, Lord, all of me, my hopes, my dreams, my goals, my enjoyments, my successes, my failures, my weaknesses. All that I have and all that I am I give to You.

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.

I entrust to You my family and my friends, those I care for and those who care for me.

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.

With a repentant heart, I place my sins before You and ask for Your forgiveness.

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.

Guide me, Lord. Show me where You want me to go. Give me a heart to obey Your word and follow You wherever You lead.

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.

Place Your words in my mouth that I may speak them to those who need to hear. May I be transparent that Your light may shine through me. 

Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will.

Not my will but Yours be done, my Lord and my Savior.

Amen.

Wednesday – Stay Awake!

Are you spiritually awake? Or have the cares of this world lulled you into a stupor? 

In today's Gospel, Jesus warns us that we do not know the hour when He will return. Therefore, like an attentive servant, we must keep watch for our Master to come back to us. 

What does it mean to be spiritually awake and attentive? People who are spiritually awake and attentive 

1. Pray as much as possible

2. Are conscious of God's presence throughout the day in every area of their lives

3. Read, study, and meditate on Sacred Scripture

4. Receive the sacraments, especially the Eucharist and Confession, frequently

5. Know and respect God's moral law, make good moral choices, and repent and confess when they fail to do so

6. Are eager to grow in their faith and in their relationship with God

7. Long for ever greater intimacy with their Father Who loves them beyond telling, with their Savior Who died for them, and with the Holy Spirit Who enkindles the fire of love in their hearts

Stay awake then. Watch for the Lord. Be attentive to His every whisper, His every nudge, His every loving touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment