In the craziness of this time of the year, we often miss out on the joy of the season. We're so busy shopping, baking, decorating, writing cards, wrapping presents, and planning get-togethers that our joy often slips away and is replaced by stress and exhaustion.
On this Gaudete Sunday, then, set aside a few minutes for a joy boost and reflect on these ten sources of great joy.
1. God is a loving Father Whose mercy never runs out and Whose compassion extends beyond our wildest dreams. He knows us better than we know ourselves, and He loves us infinitely.
2. Jesus Christ was born as our Savior.
3. Jesus Christ died and rose again to save us from our sins.
4. Because Jesus Christ died for us and rose again, we have access to Heaven. We have the opportunity to one day live in God's presence face to face.
5. God has written a love letter to His children. It is called the Bible. We can read it and meditate on it and pray it whenever we want to.
6. Jesus Christ is really present in the Eucharist, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. We can receive Him in Holy Communion in the most intimate way possible here on earth.
7. In the Mass, we participate in the worship of Heaven. The angels and saints praise and worship God alongside us. Mass is truly a little piece of Heaven on earth.
8. The Catholic Church guides us along a sure path of faith and morals. The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ and has the Holy Spirit as her soul. Her teaching is Jesus' teaching. We can trust it.
9. The Holy Spirit is our Advocate and Guide. If we listen to Him, He will show us the path we must follow all the way to Heaven.
10. Intimacy with God is ours for the asking. God longs to be our closest friend.
In today's Second Reading, St. Paul says, “Rejoice always.” Semper gaudete. We have much to be joyful for if only we spend some time reflecting on God and His gifts.