Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Little Something Extra...Second Sunday of Lent

Abram's Trust

Put yourself in Abram's position. God tells him, “Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk
and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you.” How would you have responded?

Abram must have had a lot of questions. Who is this God speaking to me? Can I really trust Him? Will He take care of me? If I leave my country, will I ever return? Will I ever see my loved ones again? What will happen to them without my protection and support? Where am I going? What kind of land will it be? Will I meet opposition there? What kinds of troubles and trials will I encounter along the way? How will I survive? The questions must have been endless. 

Sure, God had promised Abram something remarkable:

“I will make of you a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
so that you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you
and curse those who curse you.
All the communities of the earth
shall find blessing in you.”

But Abram had no guarantee that he would live to see the fulfillment of all these promises. He certainly would not attain the status of “great nation” during his lifetime. He probably couldn't even image how God would make his name great or how all the communities of the earth would find blessing in him. He did, however, probably take a bit more comfort in God's assurance of blessing and perhaps especially in the idea of God blessing those who blessed him and curing those who cursed him. 

Still, though, obeying God and setting out on a long journey, took some major courage and a strong dose of trust. Abram was literally making a leap into the dark. But he did it. He had faith in God. He trusted in God even though he did not know what lay ahead. He decided to believe that God would fulfill His promises, somehow, somewhere, sometime. 

So Abram set out as God directed him. He let God take the lead in his life. He allowed himself to be led. He went where God sent him and did what God desired him to do. Above all, he trusted God to guide and protect him along his journey of faith. 

Take a few minutes today to examine your own trust in God. Do you imitate Abram? Why or why not? How might you grow in your trust of God?

Lord, increase our trust in You. May we, like Abram, travel along the journeys of our lives with faith, knowing firmly that You will always direct us, guide us, protect us, and bless us.

No comments:

Post a Comment