Today's readings, especially the First Reading from Sirach and the Gospel from Luke, focus on humility. Take a few minutes and reflect on the following questions, which have been drawn from the readings.
1. How do you conduct your affairs with humility? How might you incorporate a humble attitude into your daily activities? Think of two or three specific situations.
2. Why is a humble person loved more than a giver of gifts?
3. What is the difference between humbling yourself and being humiliated?
4. Do you ever seek things too sublime for you? Do you want to know all the answers to every problem or conundrum? Why or why not?
5. Do you have an attentive ear? How might you learn to pay more attention to the wisdom God sets before you? Where do you find that wisdom? How might it change your life?
6. In what ways do you give alms? How is almsgiving related to humility?
7. How do you rejoice and exult before God? How does praise and worship express humility?
8. When has your pride led you into an embarrassing situation? How did you respond? What did you learn?
9. Have you ever taken the lowest place on purpose? If so, when, how, and why? If not, why not?
10. What do the following words mean to you? “For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
11. How do you extend invitations to the poorest among us? Who are these poorest people? How do they represent Christ?
12. How humble are you?