Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Little Something Extra...Twenty-Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Revisiting the Twenty-Third Psalm

How many times have you read, heard, and prayed the Twenty-Third Psalm? This familiar text glides smoothly through our minds...and sometimes in one ear and directly out the other.

How often have you taken the time to really meditate on the Twenty-Third Psalm? Have you stopped to think about what the words and phrases really mean? Have you tried to make this beautiful psalm your own and apply it to your life?

Let's take a few minutes this week to revisit the Twenty-Third Psalm, take a closer look at it line by line, and discover what God is trying to say to us through this well-known passage. The following questions will help you get started.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 
- What does a shepherd do for his sheep? What does God do for us? How is God your shepherd?
- How does He fulfill all your needs? Do you trust Him to do so?
- In verdant pastures He gives me repose; beside restful waters He leads me; He refreshes my soul.
- What kind of emotions and environment does this scene suggest to you?
- How does God give you rest and refreshment?
- What must you change in your life so that you can better accept the tranquility and comfort God is offering to you?

He guides me in right paths for His name's sake.

- How is God guiding you today? Are you accepting His guidance or resisting Him?
- Do you trust Him to lead you along the right path throughout your life? Or do you try to find your own way?

Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side with your rod and your staff that give me courage.

- Are you walking in a dark valley right now? How so? Are you fearful?
- Do you truly believe that God will protect you? How have you experienced God's protection?
- Do you realize that God is always at your side? How would your life be different if you constantly remembered His presence?
- What does “courage” mean to you? How has God given you courage? How is He giving you courage now?

You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

- How does God nourish you? Do you truly appreciate the nourishment He gives you through the Scriptures and the sacraments, especially the Eucharist?
- How have you experienced God's lavishness in your life?
- How do you express your thanksgiving for God's great gifts?

Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

- Do you believe that God will make everything work out for your good? How has He done so in the past? How is He doing so now?
- What does it mean to you to dwell in the house of the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment